Lahmajoun Braised Lamb With Winter Vegetable Ragout
PRODUCT USED: SAHA LAHAJOUN PIZZA BASE
Prep Time: 30 minutes; Cooking time: 1.5 hours
- 1 kg lamb leg/shoulder
- 1 jar (250 mL) Saha Lahmajoun marinade/Pizza Base
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 large sweet potato
- 5-6 small turnips
- 2-3 shallots
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola or other cooking oil
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 C (180 F). Cut lamb into 3 oz. medallions (about the size of a small hand). Marinate with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of lahmjajoun.
2. Heat a large large dutch oven to medium-high. Working in batches, sear the marinated lamb for 1-2 minutes per side, or until browned.
3. Remove lamb from the pan, and deglaze the pan with 1 cup (250 mL) of chicken stock. Reduce to half the volume.
4. Add the remaining marinade and chicken stock to the reduced liquid, return the seared lamb to the pot, bring the contents to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.
5. Cover the pot, and place in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6. While the lamb is cooking in the oven, peel, trim and cut the vegetables into large pieces (approx. 2-inch dice). Toss the vegetables with olive oil, garlic, half of the fresh herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Spread out the vegetables on a lined baking tray and place in the oven for about 1 hour, 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
9. Remove the cooked lamb from the rising liquid, skim as much fat off the top of the liquid as possible, and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce for 7-10 minutes, or until reduced to about half the volume.
10. Place root vegetables on the centre of the plate, place lamb pieces on top, and drizzle generously with the braising liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Bon apetit!