Chana Masala Braised Brisket with Spiced Rice
ATTRIBUTES: Slow cooker friendly, comfort food, gluten free, beef, brisket, main course
PREP TIME: 15 minutes; COOKING TIME: 6 hours
- 1 cup (250 ml) Saha Chana Masala Base
- 3 cups (750 ml) water, divided
- 1-1/2 lbs (600-700g) beef brisket
- 1 cup (250 ml) basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cardamom
- 1/4 tsp (2 ml) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) clove
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) frozen peas, thawed
- Add the Saha Chana Masala base and 1 cup (250 ml) of water to a slow cooker on low power.
- Season the brisket with salt and pepper and then in a large pan over high heat, sear the meat on all sides for 2-3 minutes or until well browned.
- Transfer the browned brisket to the slow cooker and submerge in the mixture of water and Saha Chana Masala base.
- Slow cook on the low setting for 6 hours or until the brisket is tender.
- Combine the spices, rice and remaining water in a sauce pan with a secure lid. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with the lid and remove from the heat. Let this stand for 17-20 minutes without removing the lid.
- After this time has passed, remove the lid, add the peas to the rice and toss with a fork. Keep warm.
- Transfer the brisket from the braising liquid to a cutting board. If the braising liquid is still thin, transfer to a sauce pan over high heat and reduce for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut the brisket into thin slices across the grain of the meat.
- Serve the slices of brisket over the rice and sauce the plate with the braising liquid.