Chana Puffs with Spinach and Feta
PRODUCT USED: Saha Chana Masala Base™
ATTRIBUTES: Vegetarian, Appetizer, Hors D'Oeuvre, Comfort Food
PREP TIME: 30 minutes; COOKING TIME: 20-25 minutes
SERVES - Makes 18 Chana Puffs
- 1 19 oz. can (540 ml) chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) baby spinach, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup (250 ml) Saha Chana Masala Base™
- 2 sheets (450 g) butter puff pastry
Before beginning, remove the puff pastry from the freezer and leave for 15-20 minutes to thaw slightly. Preheat oven to 400 °F. Drain the chickpeas and rinse thoroughly. Empty the jar of Saha Chana Masala Base™ into a medium pan over medium high heat. Half-fill the empty jar of Saha Chana Masala Base™ with water, replace the cap and shake vigorously. Add this water to the pan with the drained and rinsed chickpeas.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the liquid has thickened and the chickpeas are softened.
- Transfer the chana mixture to a bowl and add the fresh spinach. Toss the chickpeas with the spinach until thoroughly combined. Let cool for 4-5 minutes and then gently fold in the crumbled feta. Set aside to cool.
- Unroll one sheet of the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut the pastry into nine even squares.
- Line the wells of a muffin pan with the pastry squares so that the centre is pressed on the bottom of the muffin cups and corners hang over the sides.
- Once the filling is cool, transfer approximately 30 ml (2 tbsp) in the centre of each muffin cup.
- Bring the corners of each puff pastry square toward the centre so that they cover the filling. (Optional) Brush the tops of the pastry with a light egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the puff pastry is set and golden brown. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin cup to loosen the pastry and set on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.