Herb and Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits
PRODUCT USED: Saha Green Seasoning Marinade
ATTRIBUTES: Vegetarian, Comfort Food
PREP TIME: 15-20 minutes; COOKING TIME: 12-15 minutes
SERVES - 8-10
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) yellow corn meal
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) white sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Saha Green Seasoning Marinade
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cold butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
Before beginning, move the butter to the freezer and leave for 15-20 minutes to ensure it's cold when needed. Preheat oven to 450 °F. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix until well combined.
- Using a box grater, grate the cold butter into the flour mixture.
- Gently fold the butter into the flour mixture until well combined. Do not knead the dough at this point. The mixture should be crumbly.
- In a small bowl combine the buttermilk and the Saha Green Seasoning Marinade and mix until well combined.
- Form a well in the centre of the flour and butter mixture and add the buttermilk mixture and grated cheese.
- Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the centre of the bowl and gently mix until a dough begins to form. If the mixture is too wet, sprinkle with a touch more flour. The dough should be slightly tacky, but not so much that it sticks to your fingers.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into six equal portions and form them into flat discs, approximately 1 inch thick.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the biscuits are cooked through and golden brown.