Lamb Rogan Josh
Lamb Rogan Josh
PRODUCT USED: Saha Chana Masala Base™
ATTRIBUTES: Comfort food, adaptable to slow cookers or insta pots, lunch, dinner
PREP TIME: 10-15 minutes; COOKING TIME: 90-105 minutes
SERVES - 4-6
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (10m) turmeric
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 1 stick cinnamon, whole
- 1 cup (250 ml) Saha Chana Masala Base™
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock or water
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 g) lamb shoulder, cubed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper. In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat and add the cubed lamb. Brown the lamb, turning when each side has become golden brown for 4-5 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Remove the lamb from the pot and set aside. Lower the heat to medium and add the sliced onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently, or until the onions have begun to turn golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the paprika and turmeric. Stir until well combined and continue to cook for a further 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add in the Saha Chana Masala Base™ and the chicken stock and stir until well combined. Add in the browned lamb, bay leaf and cinnamon stick and increase the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 75-90 minutes, or until the lamb is tender.
- Remove the cover and add the diced tomato. Continue to simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Remove the pot from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Then add half the the chopped cilantro and the yogurt and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle the remaining cilantro on top of the curry and serve with basmati rice and/or naan.