Saha Jerk Oxtail Stew
PRODUCT USED: Saha Jerk Marinade
ATTRIBUTES: Comfort food, Insta Pot friendly
PREP TIME: 10-15 minutes; COOKING TIME: 60-70 minutes
Instant pots are perfect for turning difficult, low and slow ingredients like oxtail into easy options for weeknight dinners. If you don't have one, have no fear - We've included a note at the end of the recipe for cooking this dish in a more conventional Dutch oven. Either way works beautifully!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1-1/2 lbs ounces (675 g) oxtail
- 3 cups (1 L) water or beef stock
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Saha Jerk Marinade
- 2 cups, (500 ml) sweet potato, diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) collard greens, chopped and lightly packed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot on to "saute" then add 1 tablespoon canola oil to the pot and cook the oxtail for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until browned on all sides.
- Remove the oxtail from the instant pot and set aside. Add the sliced onion and cook for 1 minute or until slightly softened. Add the flour and stir until well combined. Cook the floor and onion mixture for a further one to two minutes, or until no clumps of flour remain and the mixture is slightly browned. Then, add the tomato paste and stir until well combined.
- Slowly add the stock or water while stirring and scraping the bottom to ensure that the flour, tomato and onion mixture becomes well incorporated into the stock without lumps. Return the oxtail to the pot and add the Saha Jerk Marinade. Stir until well combined. Set instant pot to "high" and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the oxtail is tender, but not yet falling off the bone.
- Wait for the pressure to release and then add the sweet potatoes and carrots. Cook for a further 10-15 minuets on high or until the vegetables are softened but still have some bite and the oxtail is near to falling off the bone.
- Let the pressure release and add the chopped collards to the pot and sir until well combined. Let the greens cook I'm the hot stew for 3-5 minutes or until softened and then serve.
- *FOR THOSE WITHOUT INSTANT POTS* - The steps of recipe can be followed in the same order, but the cooking vessel and timing will change. If using a Dutch oven, cook the oxtail covered for 1 hour and a half to two hours to achieve the right consistency. Then, add the sweet potato and carrots and cook for a further 20-25 minutes. You can then remove the pot from the heat, add in the greens, let them cook in the hot stew and serve!