The blend of lemon, garlic, herbs and spices in our Shish Taouk marinade works perfectly to evoke North African flavours in our take on a Moroccan chicken stew. Serve with your favourite rice or couscous recipe.
- 2 lbs (900 g) Chicken legs and thighs, skin on and bone in.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) large green olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Saha Shish Taouk marinade
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
Put the broth, Saha Shish Taouk marinade and flour in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and, in a large skillet set on high, brown the chicken pieces for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the chicken, the broth mixture, the olives and raisins to the slow cooker. With the pan still set to high, saute the sliced onions and carrots for two to three minutes or until slightly softened, and then transfer to the slow cooker. Arrange the chicken in the slow cooker so that is is mostly covered by liquid. Set the slow cooker to high (approx. four hours) or low (approx. eight hours) and settle in with a good book. When finished, garnish with the parsley and serve.