Vegetarian Tandoori Enchiladas
ATTRIBUTES: Comfort food, lunch, dinner
PRODUCT USED: Saha Tandoori Marinade™
PREP TIME: 30-35 minutes COOK TIME: 55-60 minutes
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) Saha Tandoori Marinade™
- 2 cups (500 ml) tomato puree
- salt to taste
Filling and Topping
- 5 oz (142 g) baby spinach
- 19 oz (540 ml) canned pinto bean, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 6-inch flour or corn tortillas
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, gently heat the olive oil. Add the diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is translucent and softened.
- Add 3/4 cup (180 ml) of the Saha Tandoori Marinade™ and stir until well combined. Continue cooking for 45-60 seconds or until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the tomato puree and one cup (250 ml) water and stir until well combined. Increase the heat to high, cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is reduced and thickened. Set aside to cool.
- In another large saucepan, add the baby spinach, pinto beans and about two tablespoons of water. Cover with a tight lid, turn heat to high and steam over high heat for 60-90 seconds or until the spinach is softened and wilted.
- To this mixture, add half or the Cheddar and jack cheeses, half the sour cream and half of the sliced green onion. Stir until well combined, mashing some of the beans along the way.
- Lay the tortillas out flat on a clean counter or cutting board and spread approximately 1 tsp (5 ml) of the tomato sauce over the surface. Add about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the filling across the middle of the tortilla.
- Spread approximately 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 13" by 11" baking dish. Roll the filled tortillas up and arrange them snugly in rows in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas and top with there remaining cheese. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tortillas and heated through. Uncover and continue to cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
- For the topping, in a small bowl whisk together the remaining sour cream, the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) of Saha Tandoori Marinade™, and the juice of half a lime. Drizzle the topping over the baked enchiladas, garnish with the remaining green onions and serve.