Saha Massaman Ramen
ATTRIBUTES: Lunch, dinner, healthy, vegan/vegetarian option
PRODUCT USED: Saha Thai Massaman Curry Base™
PREP TIME: 10-15 minutes COOK TIME: 40-45 minutes
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast or tofu/soy based protein
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken stock or water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Saha Thai Massaman Curry Base™
- 1 1 inch long piece of ginger
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 3.5 oz (100 g) shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Shanghai bok choy
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (50 ml) sesame oil
- 8 oz (240 g) buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 cup (250 ml) snow peas, lightly packed
- 3 green onions
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) toasted seasame seeds
- salt to taste
- Thinly slice the ginger and garlic and separate the mushroom caps from the stems. Combine the ginger, garlic and mushroom stems with the stock and chicken/tofu in a large pot or dutch oven over high heat.
- Bring the stock to a boil and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken/tofu is cooked through and the broth is fragrant.
- While the broth is developing, thinly slice the mushroom caps, snow peas and green onions and separate the bok choy into individual leaves. Slice the leaves into 1 cm strips on a slight bias.
- Remove the mushroom stems and chicken breast/tofu from the broth and set the chicken/tofu aside to cool. Discard the mushroom stems. Add the Saha Thai Massaman Curry Base, sliced mushroom caps, soy sauce and sesame oil to the broth and stir until well combined. Cover the pot and continue to simmer for a further 8-10 minutes. Sample the broth and add salt to your taste.
- Once cooled, slice the chicken/tofu into I cm thick slices.
- Increase the heat back to high and return the broth to a boil. Add the soba noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are softened but not mushy.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the chicken/tofu, snow peas and bok choy leaves to the broth. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Divide the noodles evenly into bowls and top with the broth and vegetables. Scatter the green onions and sesame seeds evenly over the top of the bowls of ramen and serve.