Saha Thai Tom Yum Soup
Tom Yum soup is one of the most fragrant, warming, satisfying soups, and a perfect winter treat. If made from scratch, it requires many ingredients that may be difficult to get a hold of. Luckily, Saha’s Thai Red Curry Base does much of the heavy lifting here. Since it contains the lemongrass, lime leaves, galangal, lime juice, chillies, garlic, and brown sugar needed to make Tom Yum Soup, it cuts your ingredient list down substantially. If you want to boost of any of the above ingredients, you can add in a small amount of any of them to your version, or add a little more Saha Thai Red Curry Base. We’ll be showing you a recipe in which we add in a little extra lemongrass and lime leaves (just so you can see when they’d be added in the recipe).
- 1-2 stalks Lemongrass chopped into equal sections (optional)
- 2/3 -1 cup (167-250 mL) of Saha Thai Red Curry Base
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 cups (1.25 L) vegetable broth
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 250 g (about 1 cup) of tofu (cubed)
- 250 g (about 1 cup) sliced mushrooms (button, cremini, oyster, or portobello are all fine).
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
OPTIONAL: 3-4 lime leaves, 1-2 Thai bird eye chilies, 1-2 tbsp palm or brown sugar, and/or 1-2 tbsp lime juice to boost flavours to your liking.
- Put stock pot on medium-high heat and melt coconut oil.
- Add chopped lemongrass and sauté until fragrant. (OPTIONAL)
- Add Saha Thai Red Curry Base and cook for 1-2 minutes to release flavours. OPTIONAL: If you want more chillies, garlic, and/or galangal in your soup, you can add them in at this point.
- Add broth, coconut milk, tomatoes, and soy sauce, and stir the mixture well. OPTIONAL: You can add in the lime leaves at this point if you’re using extra. Cover, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and add in the tofu, mushrooms, and salt. Stir and simmer for another 10 minutes. OPTIONAL: If you want more sugar or lime juice in your soup, you can add it in at this point.
- Serve into bowls, garnish with cilantro, and enjoy!