Shawarma Spiced Lentil Stew
PRODUCT USED: Saha Shawarma Marinade
ATTRIBUTES: Vegetarian/vegan, gluten free, Insta Pot Required
PREP TIME: 15 minutes; COOKING TIME: 15-20 minutes
SERVES - 6-8
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) Saha Shawarma Marinade
- 28 ounce (796 ml) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups (500 ml) brown lentils
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups (1 L) water or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) parsley, coarsely chopped
- Turn your Instant Pot on to "saute" then add the olive oil to the pot and cook the onion for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic, carrot and bell pepper and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the carrots are slightly softened.
- Add the Saha Shawarma Marinade and the lentils. Stir until everything is well combined and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, bay leaf and salt and stir until well combined. Turn the Instant Pot to the "pressure" function and set the timer for 8-10 minutes. After cooking, the lentils should be almost soft, but have a slight bite to them.
- Let the pressure release, then transfer the stew to bowls, garnish with the parsley and serve.
NOTE: This recipe can be prepared without the use of an instant pot. Use a large dutch oven with a lid and follow the first three steps of the recipe as they appear above. Then, add the tomatoes, bay leaf and broth and increase the heat to high. Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce the heat to low to simmer. Cover the pot and cook the lentils for 20-25 minutes or until they are soft but still have texture. Transfer the stew to bowls, garnish with the parsley and serve!