Vegetarian Red Curry Bibimbap
ATTRIBUTES: Lunch, dinner, healthy, vegan/vegetarian option
PRODUCT USED: Saha Thai Red Curry Base™
PREP TIME:10-15 minutes COOK TIME: 25-30 minutes
- 1 cup (250 ml) jasmine rice
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded carrots
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 2 pieces baby bok choy
- 2 large eggs (substitute tofu for a vegan option)
- 4 oz (120 ml) shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Saha Thai Red Curry Base™
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- In a medium pot with a tight fitting lid, combine the jasmine rice with 2 cups (500 ml) cold water and a small pinch of salt. Over high heat, bring the water to a boil and then cover the pot and remove from the heat. Cover the pot with a towel and set aside for 17-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- In a small bowl, combine the Saha Thai Red Curry™ base, the rice wine vinegar and the sesame oil. Whisk thoroughly until the mixture is well combined. Set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat, heat a third of the canola oil and then add the baby spinach and half of the sesame seeds. Cook, stirring frequently fro 20 -30 seconds or until the spinach is just wilting. Remove the spinach mixture from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another third of the oil and heat. Add the sliced shiitakes and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms cooked through and slightly browned. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Cut the baby bok choy into quarters vertically through the root.
- In the same small pan over medium heat, heat the remaining canola oil and add the bok choy and the other half of the sesame seeds. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the bok choy has softened. Remove the bok choy from the pan and set aside.
- In a medium pan over low heat, gently fry the egg keeping the yolk runny.
- Divide the hot rice between bowls and arrange the spinach, mushrooms, bok choy, sprouts and carrots on top of the rice around the the rim of the bowl.
- Drizzle the Saha Thai Red Curry mixture evenly over both bowls and top with the fried egg. Garnish with sesame seeds and the sliced green onion and serve.