ATTRIBUTES: Healthy, vegan/vegetarian, comfort food, lunch, dinner
PRODUCT USED: Saha Green Seasoning Marinade/Saha Caribbean Curry Base
PREP TIME: 120-130 minutes COOK TIME: 20-25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375 g) all purpose flour
- 1 package (7 ml) dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Saha Green Seasoning Marinade
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) sugar
- 1 cans chickpeas, drained 15-20 mins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Saha Caribbean Curry Base
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 green onions, thickly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Mix the warm water with the Saha Caribbean Green Seasoning Marinade until well combined.
- Add about a tablespoon of the water mixture at a time to the flour mixture and knead for 3-4 minutes, or until the dough forms a soft ball. If the dough is too sticky, dust with flour and knead until you get the desired result. Repeat as necessary.
- Transfer the ball off dough to an oiled bowl and cover with a dry towel. Set the bowl somewhere slightly warm to proof for 90-120 minutes or until risen and doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, combine the 1/2 cup of water for the curry with the Saha Caribbean Curry Base in a medium saucepan and mix until well combined. Stir in the drained chickpeas.
- Bring the chickpea mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid has thickened and the chickpeas are soft. Set the curry aside.
- When the dough has fully risen, punch it down and divide into 8-12 portions. Roll these into small balls and transfer to a floured surface.
- One at a time, roll the balls into flat discs about 1/2 a centimetre thick.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil to approximately 350F. Fry the flatbreads in the oil for about 30-60 seconds per side or until slightly browned. The flat breads should puff up. Transfer the fried flatbreads to a rack or on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Move the saucepan of curried chickpeas back over medium-low heat to warm through. Arrange half of the fried flatbreads on a plate or platter and evenly distribute the curry between them. Sprinkle the sliced green onions over the doubles and top with the remaining flatbread and serve.