- Lahmajoun Marinade Video
Middle-Eastern pizza?!? That’s right. It’s also known as “Turkish/Armenian tacos” and “Lebanese flatbread”, but whatever it’s called, it’s incredible and easy. Simply combine this red bell pepper and tomato-based sauce with a ground meat or protein of choice, spread evenly onto rolled out dough or flatbread, bake for 15-20 minutes, and dig in! Also makes a terrific marinade and condiment.
Lahma tanslates to “meat”, and joun translates to “dough”. The traditional method of preparation is to roll out leavened dough into a thin round sheet. On top of this dough, a mixture of minced beef, lamb, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, herbs, and spices is spread thinly and evenly to the edges. It is then baked in stone or wood-burning ovens until the meat is browned and the dough has crisped at the edges. Lahmajoun is typically served with lemon juice, and wrapped around vegetables such as pickles, tomatoes, peppers, onions, lettuce, and parsley or cilantro. It is sometimes used as a wrap for kababs, shawarma, and meat sauces as well, however, this is less common. As with most Middle-Eastern dishes, the origins of lahmajoun is much debated, and is thought to originate from the Ottoman Empire of the Turks, or from early Syrian and Armenian cuisine. Today, it is a common food item in Armenia, Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, Azerbaijan, Kurdistan, Israel/Palestine, Syria, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia. Lahmajoun has also become popular internationally in countries with Middle-Eastern communities such as Canada, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, England, Netherlands, Brazil, and Australia.
- (Should be enough for two 12-inch pizzas).
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (218 °C).
- Add sauce to 1 lb. (450 g) of lean ground beef, lamb or soy and mix until combined.
- Spread a thin layer of the mixture evenly onto rolled out fresh dough or any flatbread of your choice. Repeat with any remaining mixture.
- Bake in oven for 15 to 20 min. or until mixture is browned
- No Additives, Preservatives, Starches, Gums, or Stabilizers
- Gluten Free
- No Trans Fat
- No Cholesterol
- No Saturated Fat
- Low in Total Fat
- Low in Total Calories
- Vegetarian & Vegan Friendly
- Easy To Follow Directions
- Can be prepared at home in 30 minutes or less
- Each jar can make two meals for four people
- Locally made in Toronto
- Made with mostly fresh, local ingredients from Toronto-based suppliers
- Additional recipes available online