- Shish Taouk Video
One of our best-selling products to date. A simple yet bold tomato-based marinade for chicken (although you can use it with any meat you like). Combine with yogurt, marinate chicken or any other protein of choice for about 15 minutes, and then roast or bake in the oven, or grill on the BBQ. Whether your meat is thread onto skewers or not, the results are magnificent!
The word shish originates in Turkey and means “skewer”. Taouk (also spelled Tavuk, pronounced ta-vouk) is also Turkish, and means “chicken”. In Arabic, it can also be spelled tawook/tawouk/tauwos and can refer to other kinds of poultry, such as peacock. Shish Taouk is popular across the Middle-East and surrounding regions (Lebanon, Israel/Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia), as well as many kebab houses around the globe. In the Persian cuisine of Iran, a similar dish called jujeh kabab is very popular. The original Turkish dish calls for marinated chicken cubes/pieces threaded onto metal skewers with green peppers, tomatoes, and other vegetables, and then roasted on an open flame. Once cooked, it is served with toum (garlic paste), vegetables, and rice. It can also be served as a sandwich (similar to shawarma), wrapped in pita bread or lavash, with condiments such as tomato, onion, lettuce, pickled turnips, cucumber, tahini (sesame seed paste), toum (garlic paste), hummus (chick pea and tahini spread), fattoush salad (mixed greens and toasted/fried pita chips), tabbouleh salad (parsley bulghur and vegetables), and/or hot sauce. In more Westernized restaurants, shish taouk can be served with French fries. Marinades for shish taouk are usually yogurt and/or tomato based, however, many variations exist.
- Preheat oven or barbeque to 400 °F (204 °C).
- Combine 5-6 tbsp (75 – 90 mL) of marinade with an equal amount of yogurt. Mix well.
- Cut chicken into cubes and mix into marinade. Set aside for 5 minutes or longer, if desired.
- Skewer and grill on barbeque, or place onto a baking tray and grill in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked throughout and slightly browned on all sides.
- No Additives, Preservatives, Starches, Gums, or Stabilizers
- Gluten Free
- No Trans Fat
- No Cholesterol
- No Saturated Fat
- Low in Total Fat
- Low in Total Calories
- Vegetarian & Vegan Friendly
- Easy To Follow Directions
- Can be prepared at home in 30 minutes or less
- Each jar can make two meals for four people
- Locally made in Toronto
- Made with mostly fresh, local ingredients from Toronto-based suppliers
- Additional recipes available online